A Sticky Problem

The last three weeks have been some of the most organised days of my life, since this time last year.

An avid cycle racing fan, I’ve been watching the Tour de France: with particular interest because Bradley Wiggins was the outstanding favourite from the very commencement; due to his 2012 season’s performance.

Many also cited Cadel Evans, last year’s winner; but the real money was on Brad.

And if you want to watch the Tour, without interruption, it is necessary to plan each day with care.  Lock the door and remove at least one of the batteries from the doorbell chimes.

Get up early.  Systematically negotiate your way through your allotted work for the day.  Scrutinise the clock regularly and, most importantly, recognise that for every moment that you spend watching the Tour, you will have to spend a corresponding amount of time, when it is all over, catching up on what was deemed expedient to be postponed.

As the majority of the population will know by now; Bradley won the Tour.

The first Briton ever to do so. And Chris Froome 2nd.


And today, here in Northamptonshire, it was a lovely day.

Bright sunshine.  No breeze. And good for at least a significant development to the already established cycling suntanned legs, arms and face, if not total sunburn.

Several people shouted, good naturedly, ‘go for it Brad’ as I rode past. Which I found enormously amusing as I was racing before Bradley was born: in fact, also before his father started winning races.  So the concept of myself either remotely resembling ‘Wiggo’, or being able to make similar sorts of progress, is laughable in the extreme.

However, motorist were noticeably more gracious and considerate.

It was so good, I think I’ll go out again tomorrow.


But not until I have resolved a hodge-podged watercolour that I have in to re-mount and re-frame.

There’s nothing wrong with the watercolour itself. But the last person to work on it broke almost every rule in ‘the picture-framing book of good practice’; whoever it was, stuck the face of the artwork to the back of the window mount with double sided tape – for only about five inches in the centre of the top edge. Fortunately it is not large, otherwise presumably more copious applications of the same gooey substance would have been used. They then proceeded to stick the under mount to the window mount in a similar fashion, with double-sided tape.

Double-sided tape, whether dispensed from an ATG gun or just from a roll by hand indisputably has its uses, and is of significant value to the framing trade. However, hinging artwork to a mount (even the under mount) is most certainly not one of them.

So having very carefully separated the window mount from the under mount, then the artwork from the rear of the window mount, I am now left with a print of a watercolour, admittedly of no significant monetary value, but certainly of some intrinsic and sentimental value to the owner, with a stripe of adhesive residue along its top edge, face surface.

I am, tomorrow, going to meet the owner of the watercolour and hopefully arrive at a satisfactory outcome in terms of remounting his artwork in a manner which will ensure that it will subsequently be reversible.  Because of its low financial value, I almost certainly won’t be suggesting that it be placed behind the very best anti-reflective glass, but the work will certainly be carried out to conservation standard.  Re-framing it will then be a very enjoyable and worthwhile exercise.

Comments are closed.